Sunday, June 22, 2008

J's IUD came out. It was sort of awesome, but I don't think I ever want one.

So I'm trying to cool my heels this cycle. The first month I tried to conceive, I was charting and driving myself totally nuts. The second month -- last month -- I ended up having a 102 degree fever for the time when I'd have normally ovulated, and had an anovulatory cycle. In order to not keep worrying myself all the time, I am going to temp every OTHER cycle, rather than every cycle. I think this will keep me from being totally nuts and obsessive, while still keeping track of my fertility enough that I can feel confident in my ability to conceive.

I had a nice, ovulatory cycle the first cycle I tracked, so I don't think ovulation is something I need to worry about. But still, the worries are always there. What if I'm infertile? What if my husband is? Yikes! I had what I assume to be a very early miscarriage last fall -- a late period, tender breasts, and then a positive test followed an hour later by heavy bleeding -- but that doesn't stop me from concocting scenarios in which either of us could have BECOME infertile since.

To make matters worse, my periods have been really odd since I stopped hormonal contraceptives. They have, in the past, been heavy but rather short. Now, I bleed lightly for 1-2 hours a day, every day, for about a week. It's hardly a damn period, and even 2 years ago when I stopped hormonal contraceptives for a few months (I wasn't partnered at the time), I didn't have this sort of weirdness. So even though I spent all my periods before wishing they'd be lighter and less crampy, I'm now wishing for the old-style, cramping, tampon-soaking period.

By the way, I will never tell you that I'm about to give you "TMI." You're reading a blog about conception, pregnancy, and birth. These things all involve bodily fluids, physical processes, and sights, sounds, and smells that might not always be pleasant. If you have an aversion to hearing about those, what on EARTH are you doing reading this blog? I always hate in pregnancy communities when women pre-emptively apologize for including too much information about their discharge or periods or mucus plugs. We're all grownups. I want to talk about birth honestly, and I can't be honest without talking about my body and the things it does. I hope no one has an issue with that, but if you do, don't expect me to go changing things for you.

1 comment:

Well-Rounded Mama said...

Hi. Saw your email about my blog, so wanted to check out yours.

Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing. If you are interested in unassisted birth, there are good forums online for that. Also, I have some unassisted birth stories of big moms on my website, www.plus-size-pregnancy.org. You'll have to dig around to find them, but there are a few in the vaginal birth and the VBAC FAQs.

Second, if you do have PCOS, your body may take a while to regulate after being on hormones for so long. I'm not that into herbs myself, but I know that some women with PCOS have found help with vitex (chasteberry) to help balance their hormones. Check with someone who is an expert in herbs.

There are "degrees" of PCOS. Some people don't have periods, don't ovulate, etc. without lots of help. Some ovulate, but weakly, and are low on the balance of hormones needed to ovulate strongly and then support the pregnancy adequately afterwards. A lot of women with PCOS ovulate and get pregnant but have a higher rate of miscarriage. Some are able to get around this by using herbs, acupuncture, lower-carb intake (not a wt loss diet), more exercise, or metformin to help regulate things.

And some women, like me, ovulate and have babies without any problems, yet clearly have symptoms of PCOS anyhow. There's a real continuum of how women are affected by it.

If you haven't had your thyroid levels tested, you should do that. Hypothyroidism (esp borderline levels) is common in women with PCOS and can affect fertility. And of course, it's always good to know your thyroid levels, blood sugar and BP are all normal before conceiving anyhow. If you have more miscarriages, you might want to have them track your progesterone levels early in pregnancy.

Best wishes to you on your journey to conception. Keep in touch.

www.wellroundedmama.blogspot.com